Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Eric Mangini Is Fired

Eric Mangini Is Fired

The Cleveland Browns announced on Monday that head coach Eric Mangini has been fired which didn't some as a huge surprise as speculation on Mangini's future had been rampant for several weeks. Now that he has been dismissed, the Browns turn to finding their next head coach -- a search that will not include Mike Holmgren.

Holmgren moved into a front office role with the Browns earlier this year and there was some speculation that he could hire himself as the head coach. He says that won't be happening -- at least not this year.

"I was hired to be the president of the Cleveland Browns. I think this year I've grown into the job. Having said that, I am also a coach and will always be a coach. To tell you right now that I would never coach again -- here or any place -- wouldn't be honest. But as of right now, my job is to find the best coach available for this job. That's what I'm trying to do. And that does not include me right now. I probably won't coach again. But I won't rule anything out."

It's interesting that Holmgren left the door open for a possible return to coaching at some point. Frankly, he's as qualified as anyone to lead the Browns but it doesn't sound like he'll be taking the job.

Early names on the Browns possible replacement for Mangini include John Fox, Jon Gruden and Marty Mornhinweg.

No comments:

Post a Comment